Three Doris Lessing Society members, Alice Ridout, Roberta Rubenstein, and Sandra Singer, have co-edited a book that grew out of the Society’s 2013 MLA Convention panel in Boston marking the fiftieth anniversary of the publication of The Golden Notebook. The book features the work of many Doris Lessing Society members and has been published by Palgrave-Macmillan.
The WordPress.com stats helper monkeys prepared a 2014 annual report for this blog.
Here’s an excerpt:
The concert hall at the Sydney Opera House holds 2,700 people. This blog was viewed about 8,300 times in 2014. If it were a concert at Sydney Opera House, it would take about 3 sold-out performances for that many people to see it.
70. Doris Lessing and Canada
Thursday, 8 January, 1:45–3:00 p.m., 223, VCC West
Program arranged by the Doris Lessing Society
Presiding: Cornelius Collins, Fordham Univ.
1. “‘The Limits of Autobiography': Doris Lessing and Margaret Laurence,” Alice Rachel Ridout, Algoma Univ.
2. “On Domestication in Marian Engel and Doris Lessing,” Dorian Stuber, Hendrix Coll.
3. “The Anonymous Wisdom of Lessing’s Writer,” Sookyoung Lee, Univ. of California, Berkeley
605. D. H. Lawrence and Doris Lessing: New Perspectives
Saturday, 10 January, 5:15–6:30 p.m., 116, VCC West
Program arranged by the D. H. Lawrence Society of North America and the Doris Lessing Society
Presiding: Nancy L. Paxton, Northern Arizona Univ.
1. “Insanity, Gender, and War in Doris Lessing’s and D. H. Lawrence’s Fiction,” Jill Franks, Austin Peay State Univ.
2. “‘Unlived Lives, Unborn Children’ in D. H. Lawrence’s Chatterley Novels and Doris Lessing’s Alfred and Emily,” Nancy L. Paxton
3. “Decentering Trauma: The Narrative Aesthetics of D. H. Lawrence and Doris Lessing,” Tonya M. Krouse, Northern Kentucky Univ.
The Annual General Meeting of the Doris Lessing Society will be held at 8:45-10:00 pm on Thursday, 8 January in 115 VCC West, Vancouver Convention Centre during the MLA Convention.
All are welcome. Come and join us!